RazorbackRiders.org Forum Index RazorbackRiders.org
Cyberspace home of the Razorback Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Link to RazorbacksRiders.org homepage

new to enduro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RazorbackRiders.org Forum Index -> General Public Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: new to enduro Reply with quote

Me and my twelve year old son are wanting to race on the 21st and wanted to know what time keeping equipment or transponders if any were needed? We are new to this enduro thing, so any additional info would be appreciated, thanks.
skythrasher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means come on down and have a good time. Your requirements for timekeeping equipment will vary depending on your skill level and how serious you are about the sport. You can have a great time and enjoy yourself without any equipment. You can always buddy up on a row with a rider who has timekeeping equipment and let them keep time for you. You could get on a row with a rider who is faster than you or the same skill and as long as you don't pass them you'll be ok. The basic equipment will be a roll chart holder, watch, and an odometer. You could possibly ride without an odo but you would have to make sure and see every mile marker, and that can be hard to do sometimes, depending on the conditions.

Here is a link to some info on the Blackjack Enduro Site. When you get to sign-ups just let them know you would like to be on a row with a mentor (there used to be a box to check on the entry form, not sure if its still there?) and they will help you out.
Kylee - CRF230
A.J. - TTR-50
johnny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, we'll be there. Do you know if they will let us pitch some tents in the razorbacks area if we are not members? Also on that skill level note, I have no idea where i fall into the group so I timed myself around the millcreek blue loop last saturday. It took me around eighty eighty minutes. Once again that was one loop, doubtful I could keep that pace for three laps. Its been several years since I was twenty and I was definetly feelin it sunday morning.
skythrasher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is plenty of primitve camping available to any one who pays the gate fee of $5.00. If your not sure of your skill level just sign up in one of the "C" classes. They are split up based on age. See how you finish and adjust from there.

The enduro course will be tighter and more technical than the blue loop. Not saying its all that way, buut most of it will be. The "C" classes will have you on the short course. If you want more at the end of that, well, you probably won't. If you do, just ask someone to either point you to the rest of the course, or slap the sense back into you. Either feels about the same to me.

Just ask the ladies at sign-up, and the can explain the class structure. Anything they are not sure of they can point you to someone who can answer.

Your gonna have a blast. The best part for me is everytime time my family goes to the campground or a race, we get at least one memory that will last forever.
Kylee - CRF230
A.J. - TTR-50
johnny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help. My boy just turned twelve and is riding a crf 150R. He does really well on the blue loop, but there were are a couple of the rocks and hills sections that slowed him up some. He was able to climb all of them himself. Are the trails on the extra short course usually about the same nature or more technical? He's worried about racing something he's never seen.
skythrasher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should run super short course. The course that these classes run is laid out with the beginner skill level in mind. There will be a couple places that may challenge him, but that is what enduros are all about. There will be sweep riders coming behind the riders to help any one in need.

The super short course will start on the same trail as the short course, they will just end sooner. You can be on the same row with him and when you get to the super short cut-off, you just keep going.

Here are a couple tips that may help him out for his first enduro.

1. Don't ride over your head. Ride a good pace, but don't get in over your head. Its a long race, you can't win it with speed alone, you have to finish.

2. Keep your head up and look a good distance down the trail. Don't get tunnel vision, or you'll miss course markers and that log or rock that just laid you on the ground. Make sure you know what the diffferent course markers mean. Danger (X), Wrong Way (W), etc.

3. If you break down, run out of fuel, get too tired, too mad, whatever. STAY WITH YOUR BIKE, STAY ON THE MARKED TRAIL. If you leave your bike, or leave the trail, the sweep riders can't help you. If you leave the marked trail, we may not even find you.

These are 3 simple rules that will ensure your safety and fun.

Look me up down at camp if you need any help, I'm camped right next to the playground.

Also, go ahead and fill out your profile info on the forum here so that the club can get to know you. I'm not sure if you guys are local or not, but if you are check out the meeting info and come on down to a club meeting.

Jake
Kylee - CRF230
A.J. - TTR-50
jpw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie here as well...actually we can last year for the kids race, and plan to do so again. REgarding the kids race (4-6) and (7-Cool will it still be on the small track/woods area next to the campground where it was last year? Any info on that would be appreciated.

ALso, i understand the kids race is Saturday and adult race is SUnday,,,,but is camping allowed/park open to pull in Friday night to camp in a motorhome?

THanks
skythrasher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the kids race will be in the same area. The guys that head that up are sure to make it really fun for the kids. They put a lot of work into the event for the kids.

The campground will be open for camping on Friday. Remember, no riding on the enduro trails. Pre-riding the enduro course is against the rules of the circuit, and just plain wrong. They usually allow the kids to pre-ride the kids couse.

There will be a few members and racers already at the campground Friday, most folks will show up on Saturday.
Kylee - CRF230
A.J. - TTR-50
jpw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok - coming only for the kids race, and dad might be getting back into it after a several year break. Interested in learning what/if the opportunity could be for some father/son trail riding eventually. i know nothing about the trail potential, but will ask alot of dumb questions to anyone that will listen. we've been in MX for about 1 year now but wife/mom is not real happy about it after the first bad crash.
skythrasher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpw - Come on down and have a good time. Ask all the questions you want, anyone from the club will be more than happy to help, we'll tell you to shut up if you exceed your limit Laughing . As far as trail riding goes there are lots of opportunities with the Razorback Riders. I don't know if you are local or not, but if you are come on out to the next meeting. The meeting info can be found on the website. We like to get together for our club campouts once a month or so and there is always someone wanting to ride on the weekends between those. Lots of kids as well.

Also please fill out the info in your profile for the forum. That way we get to know you. Thanks.

We'll see you at the Enduro.
Kylee - CRF230
A.J. - TTR-50
johnny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's again for answering all the questions, its been a big help. Looked up the weather this weekend for combs and was wondering if this is a rain or shine event because it appears there's a chance for some rain.
jeb
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, rain or shine. Sunday looks like a perfect day for racing, cool and mostly sunny. And I've not heard any dire predictions from the local weather folks for Saturday, either. Just a chance of rain.
jpw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeb wrote:
Yes, rain or shine. Sunday looks like a perfect day for racing, cool and mostly sunny. And I've not heard any dire predictions from the local weather folks for Saturday, either. Just a chance of rain.

yea supposed to be warm in the morning and dropping fast after noon with 28 for the low Saturday night.
Would be good to move the kids race up a few hours in the day maybe on Saturday when it's not 32 degrees?? i know last year it was at 9am
jeb
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the kids race was at 3pm last year, too.

Those young riders did great despite the adverse conditions, though. Great little enduro riders!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RazorbackRiders.org Forum Index -> General Public Discussions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: